Not normal...but lots of fun.

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Be My Guest, Be My Guest, Be My Guest


Guest Posting is the smartest thing you can do for yourself, if you're a blogger. Have a guest poster on your blog, or guest post on someone else's blog, and your ratings will go up. That's because guest posting is advertising and good business in general. You're telling your readers that you're fascinating enough for someone else to want to write on your blog or to allow your content to appear on their blog.

It's also tons of fun. Plus, it forges friendships you might never have otherwise made. I, personally, got to guest post for Kathy on her blog, Bliss Habits, this week. It was tons of fun, and she is a delightful person to work with.

If you'd like to check out my posting about Creating Worlds, click HERE.

I suggest everyone check out Kathy's site, in fact. It's concept is fantastic, the layout is gorgeous, and Kathy herself is incredibly personable and friendly. The whole concept of Bliss Habits, in case you're wondering, is about cultivating bliss in Kathy's life. She uses 13 habits that she concentrates on each week to help her in cultivating that bliss in her life: joy, order, creativity, passion, whimsy, serenity, inquiry, community, romance, gratitude, moxie, humility, and surprise.


I also suggest you all grab a guest posting somewhere as soon as you can. And offer for other people to guest post on your blog, if you can.


Speaking of which, if anyone is at all interested in guest posting on Kyla's Not Normal, I'd be happy to look at any kind of postings you'd like to send me. Just contact me at my email address, kylarucci@gmail.com.

I'd really appreciate it if anyone who has guest posted in the past could share their experiences in the comments below. I was terrified of guest posting before Kathy talked me into it. I'm sure other people feel the same as I did, and hearing how the experience was for you may help them break into the unknown.


Hope you all are having a great week and that this post helps a few people break into the delightful world of guest posting. Have a great day, and happy writing!

Writing quote of the day: "An old racetrack joke reminds you that your program contains all the winners' names.  I stare at my typewriter keys with the same thought."  ~Mignon McLaughlin, The Neurotic's Notebook, 1960

4 comments:

  1. I'd love to do more guest posting but I can barely think up enough ideas for myself. I've done two guest posts in the past, both were poetry that I just didn't want to publish myself. That is one reason why I was so nervous about it, how they would be taken. Which was the main reason I didn't want to put them on my own blog. I don't know if it's won me followers or forged a stronger friendship, but I won't deny it was kind of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto -- love to guest post! Let me know if either of you need something... megmims (at) gmail (dot) com. Thanks! It is a lot of fun. Cute blog, btw. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've done guest posts in the past, and have let 2-3 people guest post on my blog as well. It's a great way to cross-promote and open up your writing to countless other followers. I highly recommend it.

    That said, I only GP when I have something insightful to say that would line up with the blog I'm writing for, which is why I GP less often than I'd like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guest posts can be a really good thing, but I think it's based on if the bloggers/blogs match up. I don't think everyone benefits from guest posts because many times one doesn't necessarily gain readers from the post etc. However, if you have the same sort of audience, then they can be very good to do. I have guest posted for people, but many times it's something I might not use on my blog, again making it so people clicking through to my blog might not always stick around. So it can be beneficial, for sure, if you match up well. Just make sure if you are guest blogging, it's at a place where you each match well!

    A 'lil HooHaa: http://www.hoohaablog.com

    ReplyDelete